Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Day 3: Gods and Demons - Part 1

Yesterday I went to the market and I got a new swimsuit.  Then we all jumped into the pool.  Good for me, I got my breaststroke down.

While we have been here, I have noticed that the Balinese give offerings.  I know that offerings are made three times a day.  I wonder if they do it at breakfast, lunch and dinner.  Here is a photo of our waitress giving an offering to the spirits while we had lunch the other day.  Also a photo of some other offerings at a statue.

  

Offerings also are given to make demons happy.  Those offerings are usually found on the ground.  The demons are from the sea and ground in Bali.  You can keep demons out of your house with giant scary statues that scare them away.  Demons in Bali can only go straight, so another way to keep them out of your house is to have sharp turns.  I wonder why they can only go straight.  My assumption is that in the water they normally just go straight so they are use to it.




It is very hard to not step on the offerings, but it is important that you do not step on them.  If people see you step on them people will be very disappointed and sad.  This is how you respect the people of Bali.

If you know the answer to my questions, please comment so I can learn more.

4 comments:

  1. Selamat detang Sophia, Ich hoffe du hast eine tolle Zeit auf Bali. Es gibt dort so viel zu sehen und zu erleben. Ich freue mich schon auf deine weiteren Erlebnisse. Liebe Grüße, Frau Amann

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do not know why demons only walk in straight lines, but I do know the entrances with all the turns are called aling-alings. Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the videos - very well done! I now know more about offerings and demons (yay for corners and turns, huh?) You have learned a very important lesson about respecting other cultures that will take you far. I hope the demons aren't the only ones that get food, I would love to hear about how you are enjoying the food there. I don't think they have quesadillas. What is your favorite so far and what don't you ever have to taste again? Keep writing - I enjoy reading! Love, Auntie Carol

    ReplyDelete