Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Day 10: Offerings Part 2 and More Food


I learned how to make an offering. The flowers have to go in special places in the little  basket.  Also, only girls can do it.  There is also a special way to cut the bamboo leaves.  I learned how to do this at a Balinese house that we were invited to.  The mother taught us.  We gave the offerings to the family's temple.  We got a leaf and put it in between our hands and prayed and then we put it in our hair. Hears a video on how to cut the bamboo leaves and some photos of me making the offering.


 

We also learned how to cook.  I learned how to make Tum.  Tum is banana leaf.  Inside is a little black leaf.  On the black leaf is potato, minced chicken and seasonings (I can't remember them all).  You put it all in the leaf and then fold it up and put a stick through it and then place it above boiling water to steam.  Then you can take out the wooden stick and you can eat it.  It holds its shape from being steamed.  I did not like it.  It had potatoes in it and I don't like potatoes.  I suggest making it with rice and chicken.


Here is me filling my banana leaf with Tum.


I was a risk taker today by trying Tum!


No comments:

Post a Comment